Pages

Friday 30 August 2013

Month one - Elastic waist skirt


This skirt was the first proper piece of clothing I made.
It was surprisingly easy and simple, I'd definitely recommend it as a first sewing project, especially if you want to graduate from mini-sewing projects to clothes like me.

I made this skirt about a week (around the start of August) after getting my sewing machine. During this week I just practised using the machine on scraps of fabric, I was to scared to actually attempt a big project. However, after finding this fabric I had to make something. Though it took several hours of staring down the fabric before I finally cut it and started sewing.

Here's the tutorial I used for the skirt:


Though I think it looks better with a smaller width, otherwise there's too much fabric and volume. Plus I'd recommend shortening the elastic for the waistband by at least an inch as I used the exact length of my waist and it was a bit loose (but that all depends on where you want the skirt to sit). 

No comments:

Post a Comment