Pages

Sunday 29 January 2017

Schnittmuster Yogaset




I was pretty excited when Nadja from Schnittchen got in touch about doing a pattern review last year, especially since I had just finished making the Coatigan Silvia! I chose to make the Schnittmuster Yogaset, but as I was travelling around at the time I lost track of the project and I didn't start sewing this until recently.

The Leggings
I used grey jersey for the leggings and cut size 34 for all the pieces, as I'm normally a XS/S. The leggings had a tight, snug fit, though I cut off an inch or two from the hem to make them ankle height.
The leggings are only made from 3 pieces and were a very quick and easy make- which was a relief because when I try to make trousers something always go wrong...
I found attaching the waistband a bit tricky, which involves sewing together 3 layers of fabric, as the jersey kept curling at the edges so I kept skipping layers! I'd recommend basting or serging the two layers of the waistband together before attaching it.
I also serged all my finished seams instead of zig-zaging them like the instructions suggest- just to make the seams more durable in case I do actually use them for yoga/exercise and not just lazing around the house.

The Sweatshirt
The sweatshirt has raglan sleeves and a split side hem. I used something similar to a sweatshirt fabric, I'm not sure of it's exact name, and I cut a size 34 which ended up fitting perfectly. This pattern uses 4 pieces, and like the leggings, is pretty simple to make. The instructions are very minimal and include no pictures, and sometimes the wording can be a bit confusing. However as the pattern doesn't have any complicated steps, it's still easy to follow.

This pattern set also includes a tank top which I am yet to make.

I would definitely recommend this pattern and I'd say it is suitable for advanced beginners, or any ability really, as long as you have ballpoint needles or an overlocker to work with stretchy fabric.
Plus, it includes 3 patterns that can be used for more than just active wear (I'm planning to make like 5 pairs of black leggings for casual use!). All together, I would say the leggings and sweatshirt took a few hours each to sew, so it could easily be made in a day. I've worn my yogaset around the house all weekend (I'm ill, don't judge) and I can confirm it's as comfy as it looks, plus the raglan sleeves makes arm/shoulder movement feel less restricted.









No comments:

Post a Comment