Pages

Thursday 9 June 2016

Evelyn Romper


It feels like I've been neglecting my blog, but I've actually been it Sri Lanka since April so sewing, let alone blogging my projects, has not been as easy as it used to.

However, recently I ambitiously volunteered to pattern test for Ohhh Lulu (I couldn't resist, it's Ohhh Lulu!) despite my machine and all my sewing stuff being back in the UK. Fortunately the Evelyn Romper didn't require any of the typical bra notions like everything else in the new collection so the materials were a bit easier to source.

After taking tuk tuks to fabric shops, hunting down haberdasheries tucked away on busy Colombo streets, and pedalling away on my aunt's manual sewing machine in 30 degree heat for 2 days, I managed to finish my Evelyn Romper!

It may not be as fancy as the other beautiful silk and crepe pattern tests popping up on Instagram but I'm happy it reflects my location of Sri Lanka, plus it's perfect for the beach!  

As it was a pattern test I can't do much of a review as it may be updated, but the version I used was surprisingly easy to make and I would definitely recommend it. The difficulty will probably be down to the fabric you use as light, drapey fabrics move around more, also attaching the waistband was a bit tricky. As this is a lingerie pattern you might want to add an inch or two to the hem if you're doing an outdoor version, mine's just for the beach but if it wasn't for the tasselled trim I think my bikini pants would possibly be exposed. 

Lastly, I only made 2 small changes to the original test pattern. I had limited fabric options and a short time frame so bought bias binding instead of making it, and I didn't attach the straps as the back of the playsuit resulting it a tie up halter neck!




No comments:

Post a Comment