Pages

Wednesday 16 March 2016

Watson Bra Long-line Version




 


This is the long-line version of the watson bra. I used a vintage stretch lace and bra notion from the same sellers I mentioned in my sierra bra post. It went similarly to my first watson bra but this time round I learnt a new bra sewing tip- don't serge! At least if you're using stretch fabric that doesn't fray, as serging adds unnecessary bulk plus you don't have to worry about matching thread colours. 




I also learnt what a pain dyeing is, as I tried to dye all the elastics and notions a dark grey. As you can see they turned light purple. I think this is because I didn't check what the elastic were made from, apparently they dye best if they have nylon in them, and natural fabrics are easiest to dye and synthetics are much harder. My advise to anyone who wants to dye is to research the fabric and dye you're using, I'm impatient and did neither. Though I did spend a bit of time googling dyeing, most of which stressed the importance of sticking to the instructions of the dye's box. Again, I didn't do this, but only because after trying the instructions the dye didn't seem strong enough. So I re-dyed my elastics ignoring the instructions, both times I found most of the dye ran after I washed them (I used dylon's pewter grey). After spending like two seconds googling dyeing elastics again I found this two articles of specially dyeing bra notions, I only wished I had followed! Ah well next time. Here they are for anyone's whose interested:

No comments:

Post a Comment